Meet the current Fellows!

05 October 2012

To pay or not to pay? Hamlet's Dilemma on Taxes

When I was filling in a survey by State Dept today, there was a question implying that paying taxes is part of democracy (at least it was my reading of it). 

I liked the question a lot, as it provoked some deliberations a la Hamlet of Elsinor.

I regularly pay taxes. Unlike most of fellow countrymen and I bet some 5,5 billion other people on this Earth (don't blame them :)

Fact is that I truly do not see the least sense in paying, especially in such an environment, where the poorest pay, while the richest enjoy offshore tax havens, with government officials stealing money from the budget in the daylight.

I believe in sustainable self-governing communities, tax free and self-sufficient. Advances in IT, photovoltaics, telemedicine and 3D printing alone make this goal feasible - at least in the span of this generation.

P.S. When I was submitting my quarterly report this morning to the local Tax Inspection, I was asked twice by an officer, if I subscribe to the State Tax Service's Monthly. I consider this to be an act of extortion - I was lucky there were no mistakes in my report, and no delays, otherwise I bet I would have been subcribed for this Monthly for the next quarter at least.



No comments:

Post a Comment